Thank you to whoever just purchased the 2 pairs of beige/taupe CIFs, size 8, from Jennifer’s store. I can finally stop thinking about them. 🙂 There’s nothing like limited supply + limited funds to keep me from overconsumption.
But that wasn’t what I wanted to write about today. Today, I want to share a handful of tidbits about myself with you. Things that have nothing (or at least very little) to do with tango, to give you a sense of who I am and where I am coming from when I write.
1. I think of myself as young but also old for my age. It’s true that I am in my mid-20s, at the lower end of the tango spectrum, but I also received a master’s degree when I was 23. I tend to forget my age around my friends, including other tangueros – and especially when I start dancing.
2. I am currently studying to get a professional certificate in translation & interpretation. I would like to become a Spanish/English translator. It fulfills so many parts of me, requiring intellect, creativity, language skills, cultural knowledge … it is a career I considered as a kid and am happy to be coming back to.
3. I have a beautiful calico cat who I probably anthropomorphize just a bit too much. She is a four-year old kitty who loves people and is incredibly affectionate. I would share photos if I weren’t at my work computer … maybe I will take some pictures over the weekend to share.
4. While I don’t believe a whit in astrology as prescriptive truth, I do find that I fit most descriptions of Aquarians (my sign). I have also consistently tested as an INFJ on the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator and see that as a good description of my personality.
5. I am a tomboy/hippy/midwestern girl who grew up into a tanguera. My sense of style is perpetually confused, but I attempt to be simultaneously put-together and relaxed. I guess I would say I am growing a refined-yet-earthy style. Thank goodness I can wear jeans to work. (Currently I am sitting at work barefoot, wearing a pair of capri jeans and a bright jean t-shirt with a tattoo screenprint that says “Tango” – t-shirt courtesy of our resident shoe diva, who also makes nice clothing!) I believe that my style carries over into my entire way of being, as I try to be polite yet relaxed, kind and approachable. You’ll have to ask someone else to see if that carries out.
So there is a bit about me. Tonight I go dancing, and hopefully my very warm, glowing mood today will bring me beautiful dancing at the milonga. I am ready for it!